Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Golf Handicap Experience


I think I am going to post updates as I proceed through acquiring my first official USGA handicap. I played high school golf from 1999-2003, and during that period I had a scoring average (as published in the local paper) but never kept an official handicap. In the years since high school I rarely played more than five rounds per summer, but have made an effort this year to play significantly more, and figure now is a good of time as any to register my handicap.

I have joined the golf league through my work, and that will do the majority of the legwork behind my handicap. The league has roughly eight events left on the schedule, one of which I believe is a two-man event, so that obviously won't count. I also plan to add in my casual rounds as they come along, with the first possibly coming this weekend.

My wife and I are traveling to Pittsburgh to celebrate a friend's 30th birthday, and the husband of the friend and I have an 0845 tee time at a course near Pittsburgh. If the weather holds, which I am seriously doubting it will, I plan to have that serve as my first official round. If not, my first event as a member of the work league is on Monday, so that will count as well.

It seems like it should be an interesting process, as it is much more than just how many over par one usually shoots, so I am curious to see what the magic number will be after the five required rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment