Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Weekend Thoughts...

Things settling down a bit, hopefully going to equate to more time to write. Lots of thoughts on the golf world in general...

-------------------------------------

Surprise at the Barclays

I was lucky enough to catch the back nine coverage on Sunday at the Barclays, and it was quite a show. Had the makings of being a drama-filled marathon with a large group at eight under par, but the unsung hero came through. I am not sure which was more surprising, that Tiger missed his seven footer, or that Slocum made his bomb on 18. Neither looked to be a terribly difficult putt, but just about everyone was ready to concede the putt to Tiger, while Heath looked like a sure-fire bogey to send the tournament to a playoff. Quite a swing of events in that last hour of coverage, and proved to be another quite entertaining playoff event. I think I’m going to write another piece on my opinions about the playoffs, so nothing else on that broad topic for now.

Marino’s Meltdown

I was saddened to see Steve Marino’s meltdown on the back nine Sunday, as he put together three pretty good rounds and just shooting par would have been good enough to tie at nine under. Marino has a few top-tens on tour this season, and his game seems to be just above average in every category. I’d guess he bounces back and finishes in the top ten at least once more this year. Someone in one of the big golf forums posted an interesting story about Marino from back in 2007 when he played a muni course with Washington Post writer Eli Saslow...fascinating read.

Liberty National

Although I didn’t get to watch near as much of the coverage as I would have liked, it seemed as though Liberty National Golf Course held up to the test of the PGA Tour event, just one year after its opening. Many of the players were less than impressed with the course, citing tiny greens and the course’s compact and overcrowded layout as primary concerns. That said, it seemed to pass the overall test, and one cannot argue that the view rival that of a place like Pebble Beach. The media made a big deal of Tiger’s comments about the greens being difficult to read, but I would think much of that has to do with his (and the rest of the tour’s) unfamiliarity with the greens.

U.S. Amateur Recap

I guess I have been more preoccupied than I had thought, as I was completely oblivious to the fact the U.S. Amateur was being held this week. The Amateur is one of my favorite events to watch, as there is not a more diverse field anywhere in golf. I did flip back and forth a bit on Saturday and Sunday between the Barclays and the Amateur, and was surprised (saddened really...) to see one of the semi-finalists in each group playing with a “popped collar.” Call me a traditionalist, but I cannot help but think that these young players should have a greater respect for the game and thus dress more professionally. The winner, 17-year old Byeong-Hun An, has a sound golf swing and although he didn’t play his best on Sunday, earned his with solid play. I am setting my reminder now to tape all of the 2010 Amateur, scheduled for August 23-29 at Chambers Bay in University Place, Washington. I also checked the future sites for all USGA events for the next four years, and doesn’t look like any of them will be even remotely close to my location, save for the U.S. Open at Congressional in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment